1) ... his background and education.
Mihalic, Dave\ Southern Illinois University\ U.S. Army Corps of Engineers\ National Environmental Policy Act\ Oglala Sioux\ Michigan State University\ Glacier National Park\ park management|
2) ... his job as Outdoor Recreation Planner for the Fairbanks District U.S. Bureau of Land Management.
Mihalic, Dave\ Bureau of Land Management - Fairbanks District\ Bradley, Zorro\ Webb, Melody\ D-2 studies\ Alaska Land Use Council\ Federal-State Land Use Planning Commission|
3) ... his return to work for the National Park Service.
Mihalic, Dave\ Glacier National Park\ Yellowstone National Park\ Ranger Task Force - Alaska Task Force|
4) ... his return to Alaska after the Monuments Proclamation, and the anger which Alaskans expressed towards the proclamation.
Ranger Task Force - Alaska Task Force\ "Alaska time"\ Wrangell-Saint Elias National Park\ Glennallen - attitudes\ Yukon-Charley Rivers\ Brown, Bill\ Cook, John\ Eagle - attitudes\ "Heartbreak Hotel" - Glennallen\ Delashment, Harry\ Johnson, Craig\ Tazlina Glacier Lodge\ protests - burning of Cessna 185\ Ranger Task Force - comparison with "Freedom Riders"\ Monuments Proclamation\ National Park Service - attitudes towards|
5) ... how he came to be selected for the task force; thoughts on the enforcement role of the National Park Service.
Ranger Task Force - Alaska Task Force\ Smith, Rick\ Tanner, Bill\ Weyland, Bill\ Townsley, John\ Rocky Mountain Special Events Team\ protests - Denali "trespass"\ National Park Service - civil disobedience against\ National Park Service - law enforcement\ law enforcement - NPS\ protests - Custer battlefield|
6) ... how he dealt with confrontations in Glennallen.
Glennallen - attitudes\ Mihalic, Dave\ National Park Service - attitudes towards\ job stress - NPS\ Alaska Task Force - attitudes\ public contacts - stories\ Alaska Task Force - stories\ "poachers"|
7) ... his feelings about the Monuments Proclamation.
Mihalic, Dave\ Monuments Proclamation\ local versus national interests\ Yukon-Charley - Monuments Proclamation\ Alaska - federal government policy towards\ Alaskans - attitudes \ "lock-up"\ environmental groups - coalitions\ ANCSA\ old pipeline - impact|
8) ... his reaction to the Glennallen area reaction to the Monuments Proclamation.
Mihalic, Dave\ Duffy's Tavern - story\ Ellis, Bill\ National Park Service - attitudes towards\ Glennallen - attitudes|
9) ... what he felt he had to offer the Alaska Task Force; the National Park Service in Alaska.
Mihalic, Dave\ Alaskans - values\ conservation ethic\ National Park Service - goals\ preservation - land\ preservation - historic and cultural values\ gold rush\ National Park Service - place naming policy\ Yukon-Charley - values\ Allison, Carol\ Mertie Mountains - story|
10) ... precedent for the application of the Antiquities Act.
Antiquities Act of 1906\ Roosevelt, Theodore\ Carter, Jimmy\ ANILCA\ Eagle - attitudes\ Cook, John\ Weyland, John\ Mammoth Cave National Park\ National Park Service - attitudes towards|
11) ... the Alaska Task Force and the "nice-guy" syndrome.
Cook, John\ Mihalic, Dave\ rangers - attitudes\ Johnson, Craig\ Delashment, Harry\ Park Service - personnel\ National Park Service - law enforcement\ rangers - backgrounds\ Alaska Task Force - law enforcement|
12) ... the unique nature of Alaska parks in regards to local knowledge of "land issues."
Alaskans - knowledge of land issues\ land management\ Boone, Jack\ Foreman, Bill\ Eagle - attitudes\ public relations - "loyal opposition"\ Yukon-Charley - headquarters|
13) ... his assignment to work at Yukon-Charley.
Mihalic, Dave\ Yellowstone National Park\ Eagle\ Fort Egbert - BLM\ historic preservation - Fort Egbert\ Webb, Melody\ Helmer, Ralph\ James, Vince\ government agencies - procurement\ Circle - NPS presence\ Ambrose, Skip\ Yukon-Charley - procurement|
14) ... his first year in Yukon-Charley.
Mihalic, Dave\ river people - relationship with NPS\ National Park Service - attitudes towards\ Boone, Jack\ Fay, Bean\ Yukon-Charley - planning\ public relations - Eagle\ public relations - Circle\ McDonald, Gordon\ Cook, John\ Yukon-Charley - park users\ Yukon-Charley - visitors\ Yukon-Charley - miners|
15) ... opposition to the National Park Service in Eagle.
Yukon-Charley - headquarters\ Morehead, Jack\ Chase, Don\ Eagle - attitudes\ "poachers"\ Mihalic, Dave\ Scott, Elva\ Scott, Jim\ National Park Service - attitudes towards|
16) ... impact of the National Park Service on the Yukon-Charley area and the Eagle community.
Coal Creek\ Slaven's Cabin\ Yukon-Charley - headquarters\ Eagle - attitudes\ Eagle - historic character\ Yukon-Charley - impact\ Dalle-molle, Lois|
17) ... other issues that arose during his tenure at Yukon-Charley.
mining - Yukon-Charley\ Yukon-Charley - mining\ Layman, J.R.\ Layman, Dennis\ National Park Service - employee attitudes\ preserve versus park\ gold rush - historic value\ National Park Service - concept of history\ Vogler, Joe|
Start of tape # H91-22-36
18) ... issues that came up during his tenure at Yukon-Charley.
mining\ hunting\ State of Alaska - NPS cooperation with\ Yukon-Charley - planning\ preserve versus park\ subsistence\ cabin permits\ river people - relationship with NPS\ Cook, John\ Warnock, Doug\ Peterson, Bob|
19) ... the river people and the National Park Service policies regarding people living within the boundaries of Yukon-Charley.
Yukon-Charley - trespass\ McPhee, John - Coming Into the Country\ river people - trespass\ cabin permits - renewable\ Cook, John\ ANCSA\ Mihalic, Dave\ subsistence permits\ regulations - flexibility\ ANILCA|
20) ... how ANILCA seemed to offer some flexibility in terms of who could live in the preserve area and what they could do there.
regulations - flexibility\ preserve versus park\ river people - values\ ANILCA\ cabin permits\ Cook, Dick\ bush living - philosophy\ subsistence - historic value\ subsistence - non-Native|
21) ... his view that the people who went out on the river in the 1970s were "refugees," not subsistence users.
river people - rationale\ subsistence - concept of\ "living an idea"\ bush living - level of technology\ National Park Service - concept of history\ ANILCA - intent\ cabin permits - "trigger dates"\ river people - attrition\ subsistence - perpetuation\ historic values - definition\ legislative intent - individuals versus ideas\ cabins - management\ Yukon-Charley - river people|
22) ... his distinction between the miners of the gold rush and the "grand, northern, romantic lifestyle" of the river people.
Layman, Dennis\ gold rush versus recent settlers\ ANILCA - intent\ bush living - perpetuation\ subsistence - idealism\ National Park Service - interpretation of ANILCA\ subsistence users - definition|
23) ... his belief that ANILCA does not provide for the perpetuation of a lifestyle but only for the accommodation of users who were present in the park areas at the time of legislation.
Mihalic, Dave\ National Park Service - interpretation of ANILCA\ subsistence users - definition\ Caulfield, Rick\ ANILCA - intent\ ANILCA - Title 8 quote\ Cook, John\ subsistence use commissions|
24) ... the National Park Service's concept of what is historical and what objects and activities should be preserved.
gold rush\ lifestyles - preservation\ Eagle - historical change\ bush living - change|
25) ... mining in the Yukon-Charley area.
mining - historic continuum\ Coal Creek - preservation\ Parks Canada - preservation\ Yukon-Charley - mining\ mining - historic value\ Yukon-Charley - mining\ mining - access|
26) ... the Joe Vogler episode at Woodchopper Creek.
Vogler, Joe\ RS24-77 - roads\ environment - preservation\ permits - access\ access - mining\ access permits - restrictions\ Woodchopper Creek\ Beulenberg Trail - land status\ "winter trail"|
27) ... continues to talk about the Joe Vogler episode.
Conner, Roger\ Finley, Mike\ Vogler, Joe - Woodchopper Creek\ Alaskan Independence Party\ Pittman, Brian\ access permit\ regulations - enforcement\ National Park Service - public relations\ winter trail - environmental damage\ law enforcement - political aspect\ Tanner, Bill\ temporary restraining order\ Circle Hot Springs Hotel - Mihalic quote\ permits - "bona fide use"\ historic use - access\ access - historic use\ Chase, Don\ Gelvin, Ed|
28) ... the National Park Service, "...in it for the long haul;" shared values among National Park Service employees.
National Park Service - preservation\ Yukon-Charley - goals\ National Park Service - values\ Yukon-Charley - resource development\ resources - development\ preservation - scenery\ Biederman's Camp\ historic values - definition|
29) ... naming geographical features in Yukon-Charley.
30) ... importance and timeliness of the oral history project on Yukon-Charley.
Ulvi, Steve\ Goebel, Bill\ place naming - Mihalic's philosophy\ Mihalic, Dave\ National Park Service - place naming policy\ land - reference systems\ Biederman, Charlie\ Malcolm, Matthew\ Malcolm, Sarah\ Yukon-Charley - "a secret"\ Lake Clark\ Gates of the Arctic National Park\ Allison, Richard\ Allison, Carol\ place naming - dynamic\ Mertie, John|
Yukon-Charley - administrative history\ National Park Service - history in Alaska\ Yukon-Charley - oral history project|